Transmission noise....

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Club International User Forum: MTFCI General Discussion Forum : Transmission noise....
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard Kauk on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 12:17 am:

Can someone help regarding the transmission. Every time I start moving the noise it makes doesn't sound right...is there something I should check out? seems to be kind-of-a squeeling noise...any suggestions or helpful ideas much appreciated...thanks Howard I have much to learn...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce Peterson on Sunday, June 08, 2008 - 8:57 pm:

Where do you live? Noises are kind of hard to diagnose by listening to the computer. Maybe someone could come over and listen to it if you let us know where that is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson on Monday, June 09, 2008 - 9:23 am:

Is your transmission recently rebuilt?
(Recently in miles, not necessarily in time)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard Kauk on Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 4:04 pm:

Original transmission...not rebuilt...21 touring sedan sat on blocks for over 40 years...I have spoken to Roy on this board and will be checking the condition of the bands...Have ordered a copy of the model t "bible" and will do some trouble shooting of my own. I don't know anything about these cars, but am a young enthusist from south central Nebraska willing to learn....Anyone from South Central Nebraska on this board? Please let me know...thanks Howard

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 9:02 am:

Do you have noise in high too? Then you may have a problem, since the triple gears (that most likely generates the noice) works in low and reverse (they spin in neutral too, but no power is transmitted, so the noise level should be much lower).

Straight cut gears does make a lot of noise ;-)
Listen to some other T:s or let someone with model T experience listen to your transmission's song before you tear it down..
You should open the transmission door with 6 screws and feel how loose the triple gears are down there, if you can reach one. The condition of the linings can also be seen.
If the band doesn't stop the low or reverse trans drum right, you may also hear some squeal?
If so, the bands will soon be toast.

Old bands sitting in old oil for so long are probably rotten & will soon need to be replaced anyway.

Adjust the pedals to be firm when pressed about one inch before they hit the floor board.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Harshberger on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 9:09 pm:

I am putting some kevlar bands in a 1916. They say I must use a longer spring to prevent drag. However, my clutch will not clear the housing to allow me to put on a new spring. Anyone have a similar problem with a solution?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 11:29 pm:

Jerry Hoffman in Hayes is not too far from you. Give him a call, he probably knows somebody closer or could get together with you and help you out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Hoffman, Hays KS on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 11:48 pm:

Howard, give me a call 785 259-1620, We have a club member who is 10 minutes south of you. Jerry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By lewis needham (Unregistered Guest) on Wednesday, May 13, 2009 - 8:11 pm:

My 1923 model t panel truck doesn't shift smoothly into high gear. It jumps a sputters even if I slip the clutch. Once I do get going smoothly I don't seem to have enough power to get up hills. My engine compression is good, but throttling and advancing the spark don't seem to help. I never put bands in the trans, is this possibly the problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Webmaster on Wednesday, May 13, 2009 - 11:44 pm:

Lewis,

I would start with checking the bands and their adjustment. If they are adjusted too tight then they can rob the engine of power and impact shifting. Does your engine tend to run hot?

Mark

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud (Unregistered Guest) on Thursday, May 14, 2009 - 2:32 am:

Lewis, try adjusting the carburator mixture. My TT will do that if it is too lean or too rich. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould on Thursday, May 14, 2009 - 9:09 am:

A Model T panel truck shouldn't be able to climb hills very well. At the very best you have 20 or 22 horsepower, probably 10-15 if you're like many. That's why Ruckstells are so popular. Re the stumbling problem when shifting, look at your timer first. Remember the old saying, 90% of carburetion problems are ignition. Make sure your each of coils are working properly. Test them on a tester. Then check the condition of your timer components. Is the timer dry or the roller or races worn uneven? And of course, make sure your timer cap is centered in the timing gear cover. There's a handy tool made for checking whether the cover is centered around the camshaft.
If everything checks out OK re ignition, then move on to the carburetor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Thursday, May 14, 2009 - 1:13 pm:

Lewis,

You can get a hard shift sensation if the ball joint at the end of the torque tube has too much slop. When you shift to high, the ball slams forward into the socket and gives the car a heck of a thump. Check for fore and aft play in that joint. Shims can be purchased to take out any excessive play.

By the way. You will always get better results with your questions if you start a new thread asking your specific question, rather than burying your question in a non-related thread. ;>)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration