Wire Wheel model T and Model A?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Club International User Forum: MTFCI General Discussion Forum : Wire Wheel model T and Model A?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ake Osterdahl on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 2:16 pm:

Hi can anyone help me with, how does one difference on the Model T Ford wheels, and the Model A wheel?
I bought the wheel, see picture, this model T or Model A Tire is 4.50 x 21.
Thanks Ake Osterdahl

application/pdfModel A or model T Wheel?
Ekerhjul TFord.pdf (81.7 k)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 3:51 pm:

Those are Model A wheels. You can tell by the raised ribs that run between each lug bolt hole.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ake Osterdahl on Saturday, March 07, 2009 - 2:18 am:

Thanks for that Jerry, but I have also been a response to another site which claims that it is T Ford.
There are two pictures to look at, and they are sitting on a Model A rear axle that you see.
Gretings Ake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie Owen on Saturday, March 07, 2009 - 3:01 am:

The Model A wheel will not fit a Model T hub because of differences in the spacing of the studs.
Model A

Model T

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark W. (Unregistered Guest) on Saturday, March 07, 2009 - 7:44 am:

Ake,

John's correct, the spacing is larger because the model A has larger hubs on all 4 wheels as compared to the Model T wire wheel hubs. However, the model T parts suppliers do offer adapters that covert wood wheel T hubs so that you can use Model A wire wheels on them. These adapter are a bit expensive. Also, the Model T wire wheels are now available in reproduction at a reasonable price when compared to the price of original model T wire wheels in very good to excellent condition.

Chow, Mark
posted from my modile device

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ake Osterdahl on Saturday, March 07, 2009 - 11:05 am:

Thank you for that now they have learned it.
Ake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph Wayne Rudzik on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 1:44 pm:

What is the measured centering spacing on the wheel bolts between the Model T and the Model A and where is the distance on the bolts measured from?
Is it measured from the center of the hub to the center of the bolt, or is it measured from the center of each wheel bolt?

Joe R.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michaelcrofford on Saturday, June 16, 2012 - 8:51 pm:

What is the distance between the tires center to center on a model T ford? Please e-mail me if you know the answer.
michaelcrofford @hotmail.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willie K Cordes on Monday, June 18, 2012 - 10:27 am:

In additional, the A wheel is shorter at the axle and the "Hub Cap" can not be used. The outer bearing part of the hub extends out of the wheel and you leave the original hub cover that you used with the wood wheels.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By art on Monday, June 18, 2012 - 4:06 pm:

The wheel on the axle in the pdf attachment is not only a Model A
wheel, but appears to be the so called ĎARí wheel judging by the gap
between the wheel and brake drum. It is only a correct on the very
early 1928 cars.

Regards
Art

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods on Tuesday, June 26, 2012 - 9:15 am:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the Model T wire wheel is on a 5" bolt circle (measured from one lug bolt hole, skipping the next hole, to the middle of the third hole, opposite the first). The Model A wire wheel is on a 5.5" bolt circle (measured the same way). That's why 32 Ford 18" wires, 33-34 Ford 17" wires, 35 Ford 16" wires, and all other later Ford 16" disc wheels with a 5.5" bolt circle will bolt up to a Model A (provided there are no other interference problems. Other wheels may have different flange offsets. I don't know how many (beater) Model A s that I have seen in my lifetime that had 35 Ford 16" wire wheels, just because 16" tires were more locally available and easier and cheaper to get.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration