P.O. Box 355

Hudson, NC  28638-0355

Phone:  828.728.5758

EMAIL:  mtfci.exe.dir@modelt.org


                Restoration Guide and Judging Guidelines Updates for Seventh Edition 


October 1, 2017


1926 Canadian Supplement 

Line 120

Add "Green color available for touring, Runabout, Tudor and Fordor"


1927 Canadian Supplement 

Line 120 

Add "Green, Moleskin, and Gray colors available on Touring, Runabout, Tudor and Fordor."


September 16, 2017

Section: Features by Year



1912 thru 1927
Line Number 750 - Change/add the Word "Breather Pipe" to describe the "Oil Cap".

1914
Line Number 120 - Remove: "striping" at end of sentence. Add:" Some early cars had Midnight blue Wheels with grey striping."

1916
Line Number 750 - Should read, "Cap has three stamped flutes with "Ford" script" and "Made in U.S. A." stamped into cap."

1911-1927

Line Number 312 - Remove "Top Boot".  Add" " Top Dust Cover (boot)."


1922-1925
Line Number 312 - Remove all lines describing the top boot.  Add: "Not standard equipment."

1926 - 1927
Line number 312 - Remove all lines describing the top boot.  Add: "Optional Accessory. Tan fabric on "Sport Model" open cars. 

1914-1918 Canadian Supplement
Line number 120 - Add "black" to the colors offered.

1924 - 1925 Canadian Supplement
Line Number 510 - Add: "frame stamped with holes for RHD or LHD", not both.


JUDGING GUIDELINES JUNE 30, 2015 

​1915 Addition to Description, Line Number 301

Early coupelet upholstered in black leather with dark blue wool headliner. Later coupelets upholstered in black leatherette.


Line Number 310

Early coupelet tops in black leather, later in black leatherette.


​1913-1927 Addition to Description, Line Number 320

Top prop nuts painted black.


Line Number 360

Steering shaft timer and carburetor shafts natural steel


1916 Addition to Description, Line Number 301

Door catch strap made of black leather. Later cars had catch straps of black woven cotton. Coupelet black leatherette through with green wool headliner.


​1917-1925 Addition to Description, Line Number 301

Door catch straps of black woven cotton on open cars.


THE JUDGING GUIDELINES MARCH, 2012 AND DECEMBER, 2013

1910; Change of Description, Line Number 690

Brake Rods: Forged steel ends bent in the forked area. Adjusting clevis was not bent in the forked area and had tapered body with no jam nut. The brake rod support arm angles down and rolls under the brake rod. The arm has no reinforcement. 


​1911; Change of Description, Line Number 690

Brake Rods: Forged steel ends that were straight in the forked area. Adjusting clevis was forged and had straight body with no jam nut. The brake rod support arm angles down and rolls under the brake rod. The arm has no reinforcement.


1912 Change of Description, Line Number 690

Brake Rods: Forged steel ends that were straight in the forked area. Adjusting clevis was forged steel and had straight body with no jam nut. The brake rod support arm angles down and rolls under the brake rod. The arm has no reinforcement.


​1912 Change of Description, Line Number 880

Horn: Triple twist design with the horn tube exposed on the outside of the body. Polished brass and made by Rubes and Non-Pareil. By July, 1912, the single twist horn was introduced and used on most cars. This horn was painted black with a brass bezel and installed in an inverted position. The horn tube/horn bulb was located in the interior of the car.


​1913 Page 1 Change of Description, Line Number 100

Colors: All models were Midnight Blue with gray striping. Body striping was dropped early in production. Wheels painted body color and striped on spokes, felloes and hub bolts


Line Number 140

Running Boards: Steel with stamped large Ford script and “Made in U.S.A.” running crosswise in center. Some production had holes for mounting carbide generator on both sides of the car. Fender mounting bolts are 1/4” carriage bolts while the running board bracket bolts are 5/16” carriage bolts


Line Number 150

Splash Shields (Aprons): No embossed curves at back end. Drift punched for carbide generator hose shields.


​Line Number 170

Radiator: Large Ford script with “Made in USA” stamped into top tank. Short filler neck soldered directly to top tank with three exposed rivets. Filler neck was cast brass. Right vertical trim drilled for choke wire and lower trim was curved on inside edges.


Line Number 201

Acetylene generator: Victor, Brown or Corcoran. All were steel painted black with brass trim. Forward mounting holes were shared with running board. (delete last sentence) 


Line Number 220

Windshield: steel frames painted black. Vanguard, Rands or Diamond brand. Some used piano type center hinge. Top section folded away from driver. Hinges had brass trim and hinge screws, inner studs and outside castle nuts were brass plated steel. Windshield brace was straight and had provision to attach the front top strap. Brackets holding the windshield to the firewall were painted black, while the screws and nuts attaching the brackets to the firewall were brass plated steel.


​Line Number 370

Coil box: Wood, stained and varnished. Made by Heinz Kingston and KW. KW coils unique for 1913. Ford-designed steel coil box with flat top appeared around May, 1913. The steel coil box, painted black, had brass plated lid fasteners.


Line Number 372

Coil box switch: Hard rubber switch. Marked “Heinze Electric” or “KW” or Kingston. KW switch had circle painted black and raised portion polished. Metal coil box switch made of hard rubber with brass cover plate.​


​Line Number 383

Carburetor adjusting rod bracket: Made from stamped steel with raised portion in center. Painted black. Secured with round-head steel wood screws. Later in production the plate was flat steel, painted black.


Line Number 386

Speedometer cable: Made from steel. Ferrule nuts were identical and knurled on both ends and can be steel or brass.


Line Number 387

Speedometer drive: “Dropped Forged Steel” swivel joint, not painted. Some swivels had “13-A” and “13-B” cast into the housing. All spindle arms (P/N 2696B) had hole in the arm to mount the “L” bracket and “S” clamp. Swivel brackets and road gear were painted black. Road gear was a steel forging marked “NO22” with the Stewart name in block letters. Late in production, the road gear was marked “1322”, and the Stewart name was in script or block letters.


​Line Number 427

Oil can: Copper plated steel. Used bayonet-style spout, can be thread-on spout or not threaded. Manufactured by Maple City Mfg. Co. and Noera Mfg. Co.


Line Number 428

Tire pump: Dual-barrel brass pump made by Bridgeport Brass Co. Marked “Acolis”. Steel parts were brass plated. Base painted red. Red rubber hose.


​Line Number 540

Fuel tank: Round galvanized steel with galvanized bolt-on brackets. Outlet was offset near the middle of the tank. Cap made from cast aluminum, vent hole in middle of cap.


Line Number 585

Valve Stem Hardware: Stems were brass with serrated or straight knurled base, often marked “Schrader Universal”.


​Line Number 690

Brake rods: Forged steel ends were straight in the forked area. Adjusting clevis was forged steel and had straight body and no jam nut. Brake rod support angled down and rolls under the brake rod. The arm has no reinforcement


Line Number 760

Engine spash pans: Stamped steel. Driver side has hole which exposes the commutator pull rod arm. Painted black.


​Line Number 901

Carburetor pull rod: Adjustable design. Forged steel end screws onto steel rod, which is attached at the steering column


​1914 Line Number 690

Brake rods: Forged steel ends that were straight in the forked area. Forged adjusting clevis had straight body and no jam nut. Brake rod support arm angles slightly downward and rolls over the brake rod. The arm has no reinforcement.


1915 Line Number 140

Running boards: Steel with Ford script and “Made in USA” running crosswise in center. Holes for mounting carbide generator were eliminated by April 1915.


​Change of Line Numbers

Line 150 change to 160

Line 151 change to 161

Line 152 change to 162

Line 153 change to 163

Line 154 change to 164

Line 159 change to 169


1916 Page 2 Change of Line Numbers

Line 150 change to 160

Line 151 change to 161

Line 152 change to 162

Line 153 change to 163

Line 154 change to 164

Line 159 change to 169​​


​Line Number 164

At the end of the first sentence, add this sentence: “Some very early models may have steel brackets that are folded over and have only two mounting bolts in the firewall. These brackets were used for a very short period of time.”


1917 thru 1927 Change of Line Numbers

Line 120 change to 570​


​This change applies to the TT Truck Supplement section of years 1917 through 1927. This supplement section is found at the end of each year’s feature description.


1924 Line Number 120 (now 570)

Color: All models painted black. Fordor had gold or vermillion pinstripe and other closed cars had Carmine Red pinstripe below the beltline.


1925  Line Number 120 (now 570)

Color: All models painted black. Fordor cars had Carmine red or gold pinstripe below the belt line and other closed cars had Carmine red pinstripe below the beltline.


Line Number 130

Fenders: Curved, “crown” type fenders, rounded appearance that followed the wheel opening. Bent flare at front fender apron that matches the contour of the lower radiator splash apron (valance). Some front fenders had the bead follow the contour of the splash apron, while other fenders had the bead go under the apron (sometimes called “commercial fenders”). Coupe and some Runabouts had a rear fender apron bolted to body sill. Rear fender had two-screw mount to attach fender to apron. Painted black.


​Line Number 150

Splash shields (aprons): Aprons had smooth appearance. Some sedans had “square” type apron late in year. Painted black.  


​Line Number 180

Headlights: Pressed steel body and rim. Ford “H” fluted lenses used on all cars. Nickel plated focus screw was on the side of the light socket, which came straight out of the headlight. Headlight bracket had “V” configuration that fit into the fender bracket. Painted black. May 1925, optional nickel plated headlight rims available as an accessory


​Line Number 191

Sidelight/windshield bracket: Windshield bracket placed the windshield frame at a slight rake. Sidelight brackets, when used, were mounted to windshield brackets at the point where the windshield bracket mounted to the body, using two carriage bolts and hex nuts. Starter-equipped cars used the same pressed-steel windshield brackets, but no sidelight brackets were installed. Side curtain clips attached at the middle screw (long clip) on the windshield post and the lower front carriage bolt (short clip). Painted black.


​Line Number 192

Taillight bracket: Pressed steel bracket used with nondemountable wheel cars. Taillight mounted to spare tire bracket when demountable rims installed. Pickup used unique bracket


​Line Number 220

Windshield frame: Steel frame, painted black. “Slanted” design, top section opened outward, and by mid-year drilled with three holes for an inside mirror and windshield wiper. Wing nuts and glass channel nickel plated. Bottom half fixed.


​Line Number 311

Rear window: Fixed style on open cars, rear window with one opening, and 5/8” binding. 16¾” X 7”. Rear curtain was retained to body by nailed “hide em” tack strip.


​Line Number 340

Door and window hardware: Handle positioned at a slight angle inside edge of door on open cars, making the door easier to open. Pressed steel handle had a twist near base of the handle. Door catch sits vertically to the body and mounted with two screws. Door hinges on open cars now rectangular rather than tapered shape. Closed cars had “roll up/down” windows.


​Line Number 380

Firewall: “High radiator” firewall, made of steel, shaped to accommodate the taller, streamlined hood was used. Painted black. Choke rod bell crank riveted to firewall. Firewall brackets pressed steel and mounted to side of frame. Aluminum data plate connected to firewall with two rivets. In April, carburetor adjusting rod ¼” in diameter and 23 ¼” long with new swivel design end. Firewall modified to accommodate new carburetor rod.


​Line Number 411

Pedal trim: Pressed steel with rounded pedal openings, attached with round-head steel wood screws. Painted black. Floorboards may or may not have been painted. Draft deflector added.


​Line Number 415

Floor mat: Open cars had black rubber mat with Ford name in script. Redesigned to fit wide body cowl. Hole in mat for starter button (when applicable). Rear, touring: black rubber mat, 28”X30”.


​Line Number 420

Hubcap wrench. Heavy stamped steel with three wrench hexes. Oval shape. Marked with Ford script. No raised portion around hexes.


​Line Number 425

Band wrench: Forged steel with narrow handle and offset on wide end. Ford script and part number appear on wrench. Marked with Ford script


Line Number 426

Tool roll: Flap had straight corners. Made from black top material.


​Line Number 510

Frame: Same as 1924, no oil holes for emergency brake lever. Handbrake quadrant redesigned for only two rivets. Painted black.


Line Number 550

Front spring: Square-clipped leaf spring with bolt-on clips. Main leaf drilled for oilers. Leaves were marked “Ford”. New style lower nine-leaf spring introduced in middle of year.


Line Number 551

Rear spring: Square-clipped leaf spring with bolt-on clips. Main leaf drilled for oilers. Leaves were marked “Ford”. Pickups and sedans need nine-leaf spring.


​Line Number 570

Wheels: Demountable rims optional on open cars and standard on closed cars, used 30X3 ½” tires. Optional 21” balloon tires, with demountable wood wheels available. Painted black. May 1925, 21” natural wood wheels available as accessory on exchange basis. Spare-tire carrier mounted at rear of car when demountable rims ordered. Rims were zinc plated, wheels painted black.


Clincher rim, square fellow design with round spokes standard on open cars: 30x3” in front, 30x3½” in the rear. Felloes were riveted to the rims from the outside. Felloe plates secured with oval-headed rivets. Painted black.


Line Number 690

Brake rods: Brake rods now split at the ends. Clevis was steel, not forged. Brake rod supports were reinforced and stronger, attached to radius rod with a ¼” x 20tpi carriage bolt and square nut. Arm rolls over the brake rod.


Line Number 825

Starter switch: Bolted to frame, one-piece design. Zinc plated.


​Line Number 901

Carburetor pull rod: One-piece, bent-rod design. New swivel design introduced in April, 1925.


​Line Number 180

Headlamps: Black body and black rims.


​1926 Line Number 120 (now 570)

Color: Colors available: Fordor (Windsor Maroon) or (Moleskin with champagne stripe), Coupe and Tudor (Channel Green) and all other bodies (black).


Line Number 352

Steering Wheel nut: Made from steel. Nickel plated or painted black.


Line Number 560

Spring Shackles: “U” shaped shackles with castle nuts facing the rear of chassis.


1927 Line Number 352

Steering Wheel Nut: Made from steel. Nickel plated or painted black.


Remove words, Line Number 415 (when applicable)

​Replace word, Line Number 510 Frame: Replace word “ratchet” with “quadrant.


Line Number 560

Spring Shackles: “U” shaped shackles with castle nuts facing the rear of chassis.


​Line Number 820

Starter: Remove “optional” and replace with “standard equipment”


Line Number 180

Headlights: Headlights as 1925 style with black painted body and black rims.


​Line Number 570

Wheels: Add word “or” in sentence “solid rubber tires or 30X5…..”